Monday, April 9, 2012

A dream card....damaged.

When it comes to active players, the closest one I have to a serious PC is David Clarkson. From the moment he put a Devils jersey on, I loved this guy. As far as playing style goes, I played the game the exact same way (only with less talent) and his heart is one of the biggest on the team. This season was the breakout season I have been talking about on here for a while and with 30 goals, he will be expected to contribute this post-season.

I have quite a few of his rookies and that includes one copy of his 07/08 The Cup rookie /199.

As you can see, there is some chipping on the bottom left but at the very top and very bottom there is also some damage. The card looks like someone with very long nails tried to pick it up off the table or something and made some nasty indentations.

What makes this tough is, the seller never mentioned it and the scan of the card for the auction featured this and 5 other cards in a very poor scan. So I was faced with a tough decision. Do I send it back knowing the only other one on eBay is listed for 125 bucks? Or do I suck it up and hold on to it hoping someday I will come across of the other 26 copies in better condition.

Well I decided to go with option B, but of course in the meanwhile it does suck to have what could have been an amazing card somewhat tainted. However, I have gotten over it somewhat and am appreciating the card more than when I first saw it. After all, it could have been a 1/1 that was damaged!

Have you ever been in a similar situation?

4 comments:

  1. Ouch. Did you communicate this with the seller? If so, what did he say?

    Nice card though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one seller did a switch on me. The card I bought, or so I thought, was perfect in the scan. P-E-R-F-E-C-T.
    The card I received was about 80-20 off center.
    I wrote the seller and sent scans... they accused me of trying to rip THEM off. So I opened a dispute and provided scans comparing to theirs.
    I "won" the didpute. But in order to get my $$$ back, i had to send the card back to the sellers, insured, and signature required. That would've cost me $14.
    Thanks a lot feebay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a lot of that in vintage. Something with a dodgy scan is hiding a crease or a ding and when you squint hard enough at the scan and blow it up about 20X, yeah, it was there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about messaging him, but when I looked at his policies I figured I would get the exact same response when I had an issue with a Denis Potvin rookie that was "nrMt". I was basically told that I can return the card for a "full refund" which was a screw job the first time round I wasn't going to do it a second time.

    A real shame, and actually this is the third screw up I have had lately on eBay. I has also won a Bathgate rookie that the seller contacted me later (3 days after winning) and said their Dog ate the package...

    That was a first for me...

    ReplyDelete