Friday, January 7, 2011

Mystery Card

Like many collectors I started collecting during the big hobby boom in the early 90's, 1990 to be exact. I collected like mad for a few years and then as I got older both girls and my car got in the way of being able to afford to collect so I stopped. Then 2007 rolls around and my wife actually got me back into collecting and the love for the hobby has remained strong ever since. However, between 1994 and 2007 I somehow received this card in the mail.


I don't know why I received it and frankly I know very little about the card. I do know it came in the mail with a letter from the NHLPA. I do not remember what the letter said, but all that came with it was the card. There is no number on the card, but it was manufactured by Topps. I am curious if anyone out there knows anymore about the card or not. I brought it to my local card shop and the guy working there couldn't shed any light on it and I am also curious if it has any "value". I have yet to see this card on Ebay so I really have nothing to compare it to. I do look forward to any help with this!

9 comments:

  1. If you don't get an answer by the time I get home from work, I'll look it up in my giant book of hockey cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be great, even if someone else is able to help I would like to hear what your book has on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What year does it say at the bottom of the card? I'm thinking its from the 1999-00 season though...I'll look it up for you...
    btw very cool blog you got going on...just caught it on Drop the Gloves blogroll very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry couldn't find the card in the beckett annual...I searched under anything the card had written on it basically and found nothing.
    That might be a good thing though since it might mean it's extremely rare?
    Btw...your now on my blog roll at collectingforkicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Michael, I have added you as well. Very cool site you have and for the record I have nothing against Canucks fans!! Made a great deal long ago that send you guys Kirk Maclean and we got Patrick Sundstrom!

    Thanks for checking the annual for me, I don't own it and was hoping it was in there...maybe if someone has the OPG it may be in there? Either way I am sure someone will be able to solve my mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found it!
    My reference is checkoutmycards.com
    It says it's a 15 dollar card...not sure if that is what you were hoping for or not!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Michael, there is part one of the mystery solved. I am still not sure why I got it in the mail but it is nice to know it isn't some mass produced junk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm trying to remember but I think they might have been produced and given out to guests at the awards ceremony dinner--something like that but I could be wrong--memory not like it used to be

    ReplyDelete
  9. That makes some sense....especially since there is no number on the card other than the date...

    ReplyDelete