Thursday, April 23, 2015

1964-65 Topps "Tall Boys" #54 - Checklist

Here I go, much less time between posts! This card is one from the LCS. I stopped in one day with a pocket full of change and I spotted a number of Tall Boys. Using some recycling money and a few bucks I had in my wallet I was able to add 4 more tall boys to my collection. Originally I had just one, Jim Mikol rookie which I must say is in amazing shape compared to these but the latest additions all carry a bit more "book value".

The first of my pick-ups is the first checklist from the set.

1964-65 Topps "Tall Boys" #54 - Checklist
I actually love checklists, especially vintage ones. I have almost won one of the 66-67 Topps ones a couple of times but sadly still waiting on a victory there. But back in the day of course checklists were often checked so their value is often inflated due to the fact that unchecked ones are pretty scarce. This one is checked but despite its heavy use, it is pretty amazing still. Beautiful colour on the front and no creases!

Here is the backside. Again lots of checks, in fact I think they completed the Series 1 set by the looks of it and maybe had some issues finding card number 47. A little wear on the corners but other than that I just loved this card and had to have it.

Book price on this in great shape and sans-checkmarks is $300 and the second checklist is actually $450 because it is short printed. I thankfully bought it for pennies on the dollar due to all those horrible checkmarks which I personally like and feel it adds character. I don't think I would ever pay for an unchecked one but then again I supposed if I wanted to chase a mint version of this set I would need to consider that route. Still, it is a beautiful work of art that has been loved and will continue to be so. What are your thoughts on vintage checklists? Love/Hate? Do the checks bother you?

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME card Dave! I love old checklists, and as far as hockey goes this is one of the best. Nice pick-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shane! Glad to hear another fan out there. I agree, though as far as modern goes, I don't mind the Young Guns checklists especially the 90-91 one for some reason (nostalgia perhaps).

    ReplyDelete