Thursday, May 24, 2012

How to spot a real Hull OPC rookie

This post is to help people out who may be in the market for an OPC Brett Hull rookie card. As I mentioned in my previous post there is a tell on the front of the card and it is a "dot" in the push pin. This is likely going to be the best way to tell if it is real or not because not all Hull rookies which are fake will say reprint on the back.

Here is a shot of a Hull rookie I stole from Checkoutmycards.com. I currently don't own an OPC version (just Topps), this will have to do!

 Click on the picture and you will see it enlarged and look at the push pin. That isn't a flaw in the picture, it is a flaw in the card's print production. It appears as a little dot and is present in ALL Hull OPC rookies.

Here is a zoomed in shot. I am not sure if it helps some people or not, but here are my two cents!

2 comments:

  1. This is interesting because I didn't know this was a card that was being counterfeited a lot. I saw the print dot on mine and figured that was what we were looking for, but the scan from yesterday appears to have one, as well, doesn't it?

    I looked for ages before I saw the reprint stamp. I'd probably have missed it in the auction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info! I didn't see the stamp on the card back from your original post at first either, and could have easily bid on that one mistakenly...

    ReplyDelete