Tuesday, May 29, 2012

1910/11 C56 Pick-Ups

Over a year ago, I purchased a C56 Reprint set for about the price of a pack of UD hockey cards. When I bought  them I thought it might be as close as I ever get to those legendary cards. Well a couple weeks ago, I proved myself wrong:

I came across 4 beauties in my travels. Here they are:
Angus Campbell. He founded the Northern Ontario Hockey Association (NOHA) which I played in for many years. He played for the Cobalt Silver Kings in the NHA. He was later inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1964.
 Harold McNamara, another Silver King had a couple brothers George and Howard who were also NHA hockey players. George had the most successful hockey career and ended up in the Hall of Fame in 1958. Harold was also a member of the Montreal Canadiens before the NHL days.



I also landed TWO copies of Joseph "Chief" Jones. If you don't know Chief Jones, he was a goalie for the Silver Kings in the NHA days and his G.A.A in 1910 was 8.62. Pretty bad huh? Well, he still won 4 games despite giving up 104 goals in 8 games.  

These cards aren't in the best of shape, but then again I wouldn't look too hot if I was 101 years old either. I feel honoured to own these little 1.5" x 2.625" cards. Right now, I am technically 1/12th or 8.3% done the set, so going after this baby could be a long-term goal....

Anyway, thanks for looking!

4 comments:

  1. WOW, very cool! I've looked at a few of these from time to time on eBay but since I can't see them in person I'm always leary of getting scammed. How great is that though to have some of the very first hockey cards ever made? Awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to think how many people have handled these gems and all the places they have been and world events that have happened during their existence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are AMAZING! Congrats on a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow great cards!! I think Joseph Jones will be the only goalie with a GAA of 8+ that I would want in my collection. That made my jaw drop for sure!

    ReplyDelete