Friday, August 3, 2012

Eric Staal Rookie - Topps C55 stuff again

Going with the theme from the last post, a few months back while getting supplies I saw this little guy sitting there for 2 bucks. Not having any Staal rookies in my portfolio, I decided that it would be a good idea to pick it up. 

This card is also from the 03-04 Topps C55 set, and unlike the original C55s, this card is your typical 2.5 x 3.5 inches and the backside also looks like a larger version of the old C55s. One cool thing about this set is in every 6390th pack, they had an original C55 from 1911 inserted in the pack. How about those odds? Boxes have been going for about 80 bucks, but at that price, I have been kept at bay.



There were 165 cards in the set and the Staal rookie is the second most expensive with a book value of 8 bucks. The highest valued card is the M-A Fleury rookie which books for 10 bucks. They also had relics and autos inserted in packs at various rates and like the autos, the relics are minis shrink-wrapped into larger cards.

The design of the set is pretty cool and I have been tempted to just try and buy the complete set, but I have yet to do so. Much like the Parkhurst retro set from 02-03, Topps did a great job mimicking a classic and I think it would be worth grabbing a single or two if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment