Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Parkhurst Project Card 37: Mr. Hockey

If there was ever a fire and my family was safe and I could go and grab one item, this might be it for me. I have made it very clear 1951 Parkhurst is my favourite set all time and when it comes to this set there really isn't much bigger and better than this.


1951-52 Parkhurst #66 Gordie Howe Rookie
 As you can see from the front, there is some damage. A pretty significant crease and some tape stains. With that being said, I only see beauty. This card is in fantastic shape and thanks to being taped in some book for a number of years have helped preserve the card I believe and prevented other creases from happening.

To see the card in person is a pretty awesome experience to be honest. It's hard to truly explain but for me personally this could be one of the best cards I will ever add to my collection and one I will certainly cherish for the rest of my life.


It is worth sharing the backside to show that this card is indeed a gem. Nice clean back with the same crease you may have noticed on the front.

What adds to my enjoyment of this card is the fact that I got to meet him many years ago and get a couple autographs. More recently, I bought and read his book Mr. Hockey which was a fantastic read and in ways I felt brought me closer to the man that was Gordon Howe. In many ways this marks a turning point for me in the set as I have been able to land a few whales from this historic set but alas there are a few more in the sea (Richard, Sawchuk, The Goal) but patience has got me this far and patience will be what it takes for me to finish it too. Thanks for stopping by and while my next post won't be featuring any cards of this magnitude, it does feature an amazing surprise!

Progress:


Card #66 and # 37 of my set


Percentage Complete:

35.2% 

7 comments:

  1. Truly awesome. Congrats on adding this major acquisition to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never got to see him play, but I did have the opportunity to shake his hand at a card show back in the mid 90's. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world that he only charged $5 for the first autograph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card! I read the book too. Good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! Just awesome Dave! One of the coolest hockey cards of all-time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much guys!!! I appreciate all the kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's pure class right there!! I am glad you had that chance Fuji!

    ReplyDelete