Friday, April 22, 2016

Prince Rogers Nelson

How often is it a person gets to die twice in a career? Sadly in this case both times were far too young. There seems to be much death in the celebrity world in the past 12 months and for me personally Scott Weiland, David Bowie and now Prince have all been big blows to me. Prince is probably the one I took the hardest because I have been a fan of his for as long as I can remember and have always loved his music. One album I am very fond of commemorates his first death when he switched from Prince to The Artist...



Sadly he passed away again yesterday well before his time and I hope everyone who was a fan gets a chance to reflect on how amazing his career was. His music was revolutionary and spanned many genres and generations. Rap music sampled his music, artists covered his songs and he penned many other songs for other artists. In his time on this planet he made some of the best music of all-time in my opinion and while he was known for many things, I will always remember him as an amazing guitar player. See example below:

The solo in this song is epic in my opinion!





The other thing I will remember him for is his songwriting abilities and one of my favourites that many may not have heard of is a song called Gold.

A few years ago, Prince came to Halifax and I was hemming and hawing on whether or not to go. I asked a few friends if they'd consider going and sadly no one wanted to so in the end I decided to go on my own. The tickets were pretty high up but in the Metro Centre in Halifax only seats about 10 000 so bad seats are few and far between so I was able to enjoy myself and see a pretty amazing show that would have impressed even the hardest working man in show business. The atmosphere was electric and it was like Prince was running a non-stop dance party. People were on their feet most of the night and he played a pretty solid set.

November 30, 2011

  1. (The Cars cover)
  2. (The Time cover)
  3. (Michael Jackson cover)
  4. (Bob Dylan cover)
  5. Sampler set
  6. Encore:
  7. Encore 2:
  8. Encore 3:
  9. Encore 4:
  10. (Sylvester cover)
Thanks Prince for everything and hope you are working your magic in the afterlife!

6 comments:

  1. The solo in that George Harrison tribute performance is absolutely mind-blowing - Prince doesn't get to recognition he deserved for his guitar virtuosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. Rolling Stone once ranked him as the 33 greatest guitar player of all-time and I am inclined to agree with that assessment or perhaps even higher.

      Delete
  2. I saw that clip a couple of years ago and decided to watch it again yesterday - it seems to have picked up a couple of extra views since then.
    I like George Harrisons son's reaction to the awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A complete artistic machine in music. Loved his guitar work and would tinker on his musical projects. One of the best all time and my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I am curious to see if any Vault albums will ever get released!

      Delete