Friday, December 2, 2011

Card of the week - Denis Savard and Movember

Well another month is in the books and that concludes Movember for many men (and boys) across the world. Personally I enjoyed growing a pathetic caterpiller on my upper lip, but at the same time, it was time to let it go. When I think of moustaches, there are lots of examples of NHL'ers who sported them for looks and nothing else. When I think of cardboard ones, Denis Savard is the first one that pops in my mind. Hard to believe with Lanny and others out there, but truly for me it is Denis Savard.



In particular, I would have to say it is the 90-91 Bowman Denis Savard card to be precise. I remember seeing this card often as a kid and even though I never owned the card until recently, it is funny how these images stick in your mind. Take a look for yourself, nothing super special, but a nice close up and a pretty well grown specimen on his face:


90-91 Bowman #6 Denis Savard


The front side:
-image borrowed from Checkoutmycards.com as my scans didn't turn out well...




The backside:





Here is the unconventional approach Bowman took to displaying their stats. Kinda neat, but never really caught on with other card manufacturers.

Personally, I didn't have any respect for this release when it first came out. One UD came out in 1990 I was a bit of a snob against other releases, but fact is this set has grown on me over the years and I even made a trade with Sal from puckjunk.com for the complete set with hattrick inserts.



Beckett Value: 0.08 - 0.25 dollars


How I received the card: Part of a set I got via trade


How about yourselves? Did you attempt a Movember 'stache? How well did it turn out?

Here is my attempt, sad I know....it is there though...


1 comment:

  1. Ah, that Denis Savard card.

    I hated it.

    The photo was about 3 years out of date. Savvy had a 'stache in 1987-88, but shaved it off in 1988-89 (maybe because he didn't want to look like Mike Keenan?) The 1990-91 Pro Set series 1 card of Savard also used an old picture of him with a mustache.

    I guess the Bowman card does have a nice photograph--it would have worked well on a set from a season or two ago. It just bugged me that it was so out of date by 1990.

    PS, I did not grow a mustache. Being half-Pakistani, I am afraid I'd be put on the "no fly list" if I grow any facial hair.

    ReplyDelete