Monday, January 16, 2017

Another White Whale Captured - A Piece of Pelle

Pelle Lindbergh was a special player and one who I always had a fascination with. I would wonder, what could he have done had he not made a poor choice one night? He had some much promise and ever since him, the Flyers seem to have been cursed when it comes to goaltenders. I moved around a lot especially in my early adult years especially at University. One thing I always had with me was this little display:

This is a little to big to fit on my scanner so I took a photo with my phone. These are all the cards the were released in North America from his playing days. He should have been in the 84/85 OPC set in my opinion but was only mentioned on the back of one card. I completed this little PC back when I was 13 years old and all 4 cards have pretty much been in that case ever since. It's a little scratched up now and I suspect some day I will need to upgrade it at some point but for now it still is within reach in my hockey card closet and I display it regularly. 

Now I know that I probably will never have a Pelle Lindbergh auto because they are just well beyond my budget and what I would be willing to pay for a single autograph but instead I was able to land this card which is equally awesome to me.  


2015 Leaf/ITG In The Game Used 2 Vintage Memorabilia Lindbergh/Parent /30

It's hard to see the pieces but the Pelle piece is a piece of nylon that looks nice and crusty. It's probably off a glove or blocker I am guessing and the Bernie piece is a nice chunk of leather which I would guess is off his pads or glove. This card is numbered to just 30 and looks magnificent in person.

Here is the back side and as you can see ITG is now a Leaf product but unlike some of their pieces I believe this one was very well done. While Pelle is not going to ever make the Hall of Fame, I felt my collection really needed one more piece of Pelle just to make this PC complete and I believe this card really does it for me. There are lots of memorabilia pieces out there now and I may find another one or two before my collecting days are over but any additions will be merely by happenstance and not anything I am going to actively track down. It's nice to sometimes close out a PC and I believe I am pretty much there with this one! A nice finish if you ask me. Does anyone out there have a PC they have been able to "finish"?

6 comments:

  1. I like the four card display. I may have to track one down. The GU card is pretty cool. I only have one serious PC collection (Ron Santo) and I don't think it will ever be finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. They are cool displays, just sometimes when they aren't out on display they can be a little annoying to store. Same goes for the booklet one touch holders.

      What are your thoughts on a PC that will never end? I can see many pros and cons myself. I would love to have the funds to just go nuts and track down every card of a player like Gretzky or Brodeur but alas my eyes wander too much for just one player lol

      Delete
  2. Love love love the card Dave! A definite gem! Going to have to mull over your question a bit though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shane! I look forward to hearing your response.

      Delete
  3. Great card. Congratulations on wrapping up this collection. I can't really think of any PC's that I've completely finished, but I did manage to pick up all of the regular issue Topps base cards for Steve Carlton and Thurman Munson. But since I'll still pick up autographs and memorabilia cards for Carlton, I can't officially say that PC is finished. As for Munson... I don't have any memorabilia cards, but if I found an affordable copy, I'd probably add it to my collection. Unfortunately... his autograph is like your Lindbergh auto... and way out of my price range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fuji. That in it's self is a pretty cool accomplishment and for some I believe they would call that complete on the Munson and Carlton. Good luck on the memorabilia searches as time goes by more and more always find their ways to market!

      Delete