Monday, January 26, 2015

Fin Finds - 13-14 UD Series 1 Marc Staal Game Used Patch /15

My LCS seems to have little respect for GU cards with many living in the 3 for 5 bin or are labelled with unbelievably awesome prices. That is the case with this card.

Marc and I are from the same part of the world with both of us having been born on the Fort William side of Thunder Bay.

13-14 UD Series 1 Marc Staal Game Used Patch /15
Being a collector who has busted countless packs of UD's base set I can attest these patch cards are nearly impossible to pull. Since getting back into the hobby in 2007, I probably have busted over a case or two of this stuff and while the is a small number to some, that is still a pretty significant number of boxes. In that time, I have pulled loads of game used cards, countless Young Guns and even more inserts. I however have only managed to pull 1 patch card and 1 autograph card. The patch card was a pretty epic experience and it is a card that probably has diminished a fair bit in value due to saturation but is still a card I cherish a fair bit. The autograph was of Ryan Potulny and I certainly don't hold it in the same light!

Landing a fellow Thunder Bay boy in patch form with a really low print run is a nice deal if you ask me, what sweetens it is the fact it cost a fin! Yep 5 bucks for a card that if I spent 4 bucks on a pack and pulled I would have danced a jig. Hmm, am I finished with packs for good now?

4 comments:

  1. Nice pickup for $5 - can't go wrong with a card #'d out of just 15. I like yourself have picked up much Upper Deck since I've gotten back into collecting and have yet to pull a patch card. I've never been a big fan of game used cards but some of those patches are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used to be enamored with game used cards but now I am getting a little pickier and prefer autos or patches with them. However, part of the HOF PC to make life easy I don't mind simple game used but of course it is partially to keep costs down :)

      Delete
  2. Wow that is a killer card for the price, nice pick-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I have game used cards for all the of three older Staal boys. Now I have to move onto Jared at some point and get Eric's auto.

      Delete