Monday, January 8, 2018

I Just Wanted the Carl Yastrzemski With the Big Sideburns

One of my favourite episodes of the Simpsons is "Three Men and a Comic Book" where Milhouse wants to go to The Android's Dungeon to buy a Carl Yastrzemski card and is instead convinced to buy a Radioactive Man Comic #1 with Bart and Martin. As a kid who only collected hockey cards, I had no idea that such card actually existed and probably didn't until a couple years ago. Well along with my Randy Johnson cards I can also say I have a Carl Yastrezemski card with the big sideburns at work as well!

Being a Simpsons fan, baseball fan and sports card junkie I believed this card was a must have in my collection and being able to land it for about 2 bucks from COMC in amazing shape what more could I really ask for!

Simpsons Version

1973 Topps Carl Yastrzemski
Here is the front side, check out those mutton chops!

Here is the base side which is very neat for a couple reasons. First, Yaz was a stud at the plate, check out those numbers. Second, clearly they weren't paid much in the old days given he had a second job as a bank director!

When it comes to pop culture, I can't think of too many examples of sports cards making an appearance. There have been a few and for me personally, this one is probably the biggest that comes to my mind. How about you? Are there some cards that transcended into pop culture that are must owns or have cool stories? Thanks for stopping by and Happy New Year!

11 comments:

  1. I'm still hoping for a Joseph of Aramithia rookie card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, love it! Personally I want a Methuselah Rookie Card.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvGCELWKPHI

      Delete
  2. There are a couple T206s and I think a Goudey card tacked to Ralphie's bed in A Christmas Story. I have no idea who they are though but always wondered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool! Believe it or not I haven't seen that movie before but I want to see it someday and when I do I will definitely keep an eye out for it.

      Delete
  3. Cool addition for any Simpsons fan. Haven't seen this episode in years. Tried to watch it over on Hulu, but they only have the 10 most recent episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww darn! I have season 2 on DVD and try to watch it every couple of years :)

      Delete
  4. The 1991-92 Pro Set Bill Barilko #340 comes to mind - I believe that is the card that Gord Downie references in the Tragically Hip song Fifty Mission Cap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh yes, it indeed is. A great reference, I didn't even think of it because I was only focused on Television but indeed is a popular choice here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's pretty cool. I'd never seen the card from the Simpson. Also a big Yaz fan so I'm now have something else to look for. Not that expensive so I'll be looking soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, thanks to offer such a helpful information here. Best relaxation massages spa Edmonton | kayakama.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kurt Russell played Santa Claus in a holiday special called “The Christmas Chronicles” a few years ago; in one scene Santa is in a restaurant trying to barter for a car (it’s a lot to explain; better to see the movie which is actually pretty good). He uses Christmas magic to conjure up a Topps 1952 Mickey Mantle card and offered to trade it to a man for his Porsche. The man agrees (who wouldn’t; the Mantle card was in mint condition), but his wife not only vetoes the trade, she tears the card in two.

    I die a little every time I watch that.

    ReplyDelete